[u-u] VirtualBox and Vagrant

Hugh Gamble hugh at phaedrav.com
Fri Dec 5 14:39:46 EST 2014

VirtualBox is fine for dev/test and desktops.
I don't know Vagrant, but VirtualBox should be ideal for the kinds of things
Vagrant does.

VirtualBox is not suited to running production servers.
VirtualBox has frequent updates, but not always well tested.
Every VirtualBox update wants to down and up the network interface on your
*host*
whether it needs to or not.

VirtualBox networking support should be fine,
unless you need something fancy like promiscuous mode
or you lose something in the differences between your virtual NIC
and the physical NIC on your host.