[u-u] The article I mentioned last night

C. Timar cctimar at member.ams.org
Fri Aug 14 13:34:53 EDT 2015

D'Arcy wrote:
> Not the same thing I suppose but I once proposed (might have been on
April 1) a scheme where I would mail myself large files using UUCP and
a bang path that caused it to go around the world and back to me.  When
it came back my system would pack it up again.  So basically my files
would be in constant travel and never sit on my own server other than
temporarily in the spool.

I had friends who did this to get around student disk space limits, in the
'80s.  (Without the automatic re-transmission.)
As long as you can keep throwing enough files off the university server,
you can catch and unpack the ones you need at the moment.  I seem to
remember a disaster, though, when a script failed.  (I think it was a line
that expanded to too many chars.)

    -- Cary