[u-u] Expired SSL certificate

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Wed Dec 30 17:20:13 EST 2015

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:58:47 -0500 (EST)
Unix Unanimous Webmaster <www-uu at unixunanimous.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2015, arocker at Vex.Net wrote:
> |
> |Firefox won't let me near the site. (See "Subject:")
>
> 	use http://unixunanimous.org for now

Why not forever?  What's so critical that it needs to be protected by a
certificate?

> 	the cert can be updates in one of 2 ways -
>
> 	1. self-signed, which f/f etc will accept if one
> 	   jumps thru a few hoops to coax it to do ao

Unless users are sending private information back in a form why bother
at all?

> 	2. cert can be bought for approx $7/year -
> 	   not sure how u-u might finance that

You get a benefactor to pay for it in return for mentioning it once a
year like the domain name registration.  Speaking of which;

Domain registration paid for this year by Vybe Networks Inc.
(http://www.VybeNetworks.com/) which now owns and operates Vex.Net.

Getting the cheapest possible cert is not much better than self signing.

By the way, JavaScript just to make something blink?  Really?  Also,
can we run the HTML through a validator?

Cheers.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.
IM: darcy at Vex.Net, VoIP: sip:darcy at druid.net