[u-u] Anyone have a suggested use for a PVR?

Jim Mercer jim at reptiles.org
Tue Feb 9 13:06:20 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 10:39:58AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> On 1 February 2016 at 15:24, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 19:46:28 -0500 (EST)
> > Hello Kittyhawk <bdb at 0123456789-abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz> wrote:
> >>       How about don't watch tee vee at all?
> >
> > That's just crazy talk.  :-)
>
> +1 to the crazy brigade!
>
> Our MythTV box was switched off several months ago (cable was
> unplugged several years earlier)(1).  Our diet is down to selective
> streaming.  I guess technically that is still the telly, but I think
> of it more as da-video.

as i saw our monthly cable bill climb to $110 (not including internet), i
started cutting the cable a couple years ago.

i got teksavvy with 'zap the cap' unlimited (soon to be discontinued), and
bought a couple Roku set-top boxes, some vpn, and subscribed to netflix and
hulu.

my internet is gonna go up by $10/month when switch to unlimited, but, including
that bump, and the $25/month i spend on vpn/netflix/hulu, i have quite the
selection of old, new and current stuff, all of which is available on demand,
so, no need for PVR or bittorrent.

ironically, we moved to a different apartment, with lower rent, and all utilities included, which includes Rogers VIP service.

so, even though i have 999 channels of Rogers, the bulk of what we watch is via netflix/hulu, largely because it is on demand, and either no commercials
(netflix), or fewer/shorter commercials (hulu).

--jim

--
Jim Mercer     Reptilian Research      jim at reptiles.org    +1 416 410-5633

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
 -- Hunter S. Thompson