[u-u] Sams book

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Jan 15 13:42:43 EST 2016

| From: Alan J Rosenthal <flaps at 56789.ca>

| I'm not sure why C and unix attract so many crappy books.  Almost any
| such book not written by unix insiders is so full of errors you can find
| one after just two or three random page openings.

I don't really remember not knowing how to program or use a Unix
shell.  So I have a lot of trouble recognizing a book with a good
pedagogical approach.  Perhaps teaching would be an antidote.

Of course I dislike errors but they may not be the worst sins.

Systematically top-down books seem good to me but people often learn
better bottom-up.  The best books probably combine both approaches and
thus run a risk of appearing disorganized.

A text and a reference book should probably be organized differently.
I tend to value reference books and undervalue good texts.