[u-u] Sams book

Bill Duncan bduncan at beachnet.org
Fri Jan 15 14:47:56 EST 2016

My favourite starter book for people was the K&P The Unix Programming
Environment, but it may be a bit out of date..  ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unix_Programming_Environment

You can find it online now however.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwQmgZvBDhCYZGp5WTNwWVVRTlU/view

For a book to tickle a person't interest, Unix Power Tools was good,
as are many of the O'Reilly books.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596003302.do

I would just suggest they pick a page at random and learn..
It covers more than just bash however.  For that..

Classic Shell Scripting isn't bad..

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596005955.do