[u-u] Anyone have a suggested use for a PVR?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Jan 30 14:20:55 EST 2016

| From: David Collier-Brown <davec-b at rogers.com>
|     Fred Weigel <fred_weigel at hotmail.com>

(It is probably best not to post to two unrelated(?) mailing lists.  I'm
replying to the u-u post since I didn't get the TLUG posting for some
reason.)

| I have a decent low-noise Intel server I've been using as a PVR, but Rogers
| has now eliminated all unencrypted channels, so I'm looking for a new use for
| it.

It's a pain, but you can use Hauppauge HD-PVRs to capture Rogers STB
outputs at somewhat HD (if they have component output).  If you only
want SD you can use your existing tuner cards to capture the output of
Rogers STBs.  In each case you have to program the STB and the PVR.  Yuck.

We're doing the HD-PVR thing.  Lennart is doing it better (he's using
firewire to run the STB so he only has to program once).

I wish there were a cheap USB to Firewire dongle.  This is cheap but I
don't think that it can work (read the two reviews):
<http://www.amazon.ca/ELEGIANT-Male-Firewire-Female-Adapter/dp/B00STB1WFY/>
There are a lot like this but I think that protocol conversion
requires more than just wires.

There once was a Pinnacle Moviebox that could run a FireWire camera
and attached to the computer via USB 2.  I don't know how well this works:
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/pinnaclembusb/>