[u-u] What's a good digital capture card?

Ross Ridge rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon May 16 20:58:49 EDT 2016

David Collier-Brown writes:
> I have an older MythTV that I used for analog, and just tried out an
>antenna on my TC, with surprisingly clear results.  When I looked to get
>a capture card for the PVR, however, things were less clear (;-))
>
>What have people been using for digital? I'm running MythTV on Ubuntu,
>so it has to be linux-friendly.

I don't think you have any of good options.  If your (Rogers?) PVR is like
my Rogers PVR it encrypts its HDMI output with HDCP, so its not going to
work with any HDMi capture card, at least not directly.  Apparently some
people have found work arounds using devices that strip HDCP.

If your PVR has component outputs it would be simpler to use an
HD analogue catpure card.  The difference in quality isn't really
noticible.  Far worse damage is done to the signal through repeated
digital compression before it even gets to your PVR.

					Ross Ridge