[u-u] redhat licensing / subscription

Jim Mercer jim at reptiles.org
Thu Apr 9 11:51:24 EDT 2020

On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 11:41:49AM -0400, Dan Astoorian wrote:
> The customer portal shows me a table showing subscription numbers and
> names, the contract number they're attached to (if applicable), the
> quantity, and the start and end dates.
>
> For example, U of T has an "Academic Site" subscription with
> Quantity=1000, a "Red Hat Satellite Infrastructure" subscription with
> Quantity=50, and about half a dozen individual "Red Hat Developer"
> subscriptions each with Quantity=1 and various start/end dates (I
> presume those were acquired by specific departments separately from the
> campus subscription).
>
> (Specific subscriptions can be attached from the customer portal.  I'm
> sure it's possible to do it from the system itself, once it's been
> registered, but I've always just done
> "subscription-manager attach --auto" or the equivalent, which somehow
> figures out that our Academic Site subscription is the default.)

when going through the 'online' purchase, they only seem to have one entrprise option for a bulk license, which is the 'enterprise for virtual datacenters'.

my understanding is that once we have that, we can then do as you do, with the
CLI tool to register a given instance, so it has access to the repos and such.

i've kicked it upstairs to purchasing, so, we'll see.

--jim

--
Jim Mercer     Reptilian Research      jim at reptiles.org    +1 416 410-5633

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
 -- Hunter S. Thompson