[u-u] Rocky Linux and other bits...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 10:27:43 EST 2020

To follow-up on this week's UU meeting...

The question of what to do about the earlier (like 8 years earlier) than
expected end-of-life for Centos 8 came up on Wednesday. Looks like the
answer may be Rocky Linux, which plans to be Centos before Red Hat / IBM
took it over. A summary of the current situation regarding Centos and a
link to more information about Rocky Linux can be found here :
https://hackaday.com/2020/12/09/centos-is-dead-long-live-centos/

I was up in the small hours of December 10th for that new Raspberry Pi
product announcement I heard about. Didn't happen, grumble... What did
happen is later on the 10th the Raspberry Pi people did release a new book
"Help! My Computer is Broken (How do I fix it?)", in other words an
introductory book on computer troubleshooting. I would hope everyone on
this list is well beyond needing a book like this for themselves. On the
other hand as I assume many of us are called in to act as tech support for
family members, so a book like this MIGHT (obviously I haven't read the
book to know how good/bad it is, so MIGHT) be a great birthday and/or
holiday gift...

All the best,

Colin.