[u-u] Extra monitor

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 16:18:56 EST 2020

There are times when having an extra small monitor is a good thing. Here is
a video I saw last week on using an HDMI to USB capture device to turn an
Android phone/tablet into a monitor.

https://youtu.be/nui8kXvUAys

The specific examples shown in the video are with a Raspberry Pi model 4
and model 400 but this should work with any device that has HDMI video out.

I bought a different make/model of capture than in the video (this one :
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08LSLTMCR ). With some caveats it works.
The capture device doesn't get along with my old Kobo Android tablet or
oldish Samsung Phone, not sure why. The video capture does get along fine
with my 2018 7" Amazon Fire tablet. Using this set-up you will be somewhat
limited by the battery life of the tablet, but otherwise for things like
when visiting an acting up server and you need a (or an extra) monitor this
could be just the thing. Just stuff the video capture device, a few cables,
plus a tablet into a large pocket and you're set.

You will need some software on your tablet to support the video capture. I
tried the two programs mentioned in the video and VASTLY prefered the "USB
Camera Standard" as the other program puts its' own banner ads across the
bottom of the screen... :-( .

All the best and I will hope to see everyone in 2021