[u-u] Zoom vs. Jitsi

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Sat May 2 10:43:39 EDT 2020

On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 18:53, Greg A. Woods <woods at planix.ca> wrote:

> At Fri, 01 May 2020 11:34:13 -0400, Hugh Gamble <hugh at phaedrav.com> wrote:
> Subject: Re: [u-u] Zoom vs. Jitsi
> >
> > Are we really comfortable talking in front of Google?
> > Giving away all our ideas for free to Google?
>
> Heh, well, Google knows everything already anyway....  :-)
>
> BUT, my experience with Meet (several years of weekly group meetings
> over past years, and Hangouts before that) has been that it is rather a
> pig (in terms of CPU and memory and bandwidth), and also extremely
> feature limited.
>
> I'm quite happy with Zoom, especially given they have a very nice,
> simple, and stable, desktop app for my (sole) macOS desktop.
>
> I think the security issues with Zoom that have been making headlines
> are mostly attempts to spread F.U.D. with smoke and mirrors.
>
> After all the very same issues do seem to apply equally to Google Meet.
>
> As for Jitsi, I'd agree it is not ready for real use, despite occasional
> claims to the contrary coming out of the FSF.

...  I have to file a protest on this.  If you have to have a _single_
answer, then yes, Jitsi's not ready for general use.  That said ...

Jitsi does blow chunks for anyone on a small pipe - 5/1 ADSL is
definitely a no-go from my experience.  I haven't tried larger people
counts (8+?), but I understand it becomes problematic for that too.
But if you have 2-5 people all on high bandwidth connections, I would
say it's the BEST option.  Truly, it's very good if you have a small
to mid-sized meeting and a decent pipe.  It's my preferred option in
those circumstances.

Every piece of software has limitations, and things it's better and worse at.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com