[u-u] O'Reilly book deal, cheap

David Gilbert uu at dclg.ca
Sat Dec 3 00:31:05 EST 2016

On 12/2/2016 7:08 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> - for reading on desktop and notebook computers, I use HTML or PDF
>
> - there is software to display epub and mobi documents on KDE, Gnome,
>   and Windows (at least).  I've never found that useful so I don't
>   know much about them.

"Calibre" is a cross platform ebook management app (runs on Windows,
linux, osx).  You could call it a library.  It will convert between
formats, manage your collection and manage which books in your
connections are downloaded to which devices.
> - for reading on a phone or Kobo device, I use epub
>
> - the Kobo devices and phones can show PDF but the experience panning
>   is very unpleasant.
>
> - tablets that are like iPads (as opposed to ones with e-ink) are
>   usually pretty good with PDF but have downsides: weight, battery
>   life, expense.

For devices, I use moon+ reader for epub, mobi and sometimes pdf, and
perfect viewer for cbz (comics, graphic novels).

Moon+ is both free and paid.  It's worth the $2 to pay.