[u-u] What's a good digital capture card?

Doug Lee douglee at vex.net
Thu May 19 07:13:15 EDT 2016

Having found it and being curious, I have spent far too much time reading
the HD HomeRun thread :-)
  I found this posting:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/2381849-post148.html
I have an HDHR4, a Hauppauge 2250, a Hauppauge 950Q, a Pinnacle 800i, and
a Hauppauge 1265. Out of these, the HDHR4 is the least sensitive tuner.
Because of this, I only use it (at this time) to initially aim antennas,
since it has an Android app for this purpose, so I don't need to be near a
laptop/TV to view results.

There's a few threads on ranking the most sensitive ATSC tuners over on
AVSForum, but the gist of it seems to come down to this:

Ranked by most sensitive:

Hauppauge 1265 (new product, no Linux drivers yet, no signal strength
monitor)
Hauppauge 950Q (there is a 955Q now, not sure of Linux drivers for it or
not)
Hauppauge Areo (only one Aero can be used per PC/server because of driver
limitations)
Hauppauge 2250 (discontinued dual tuner, has linux drivers)
Pinnacle 800i (discontinued, but can be found on eBay)
HDHR4 (and other models)

Bad tuner cards to stay away (unless you know what you're in for):
Hauppauge 1600 - I believe this is discontinued, but has very poor
sensitivity (I own one)
Hauppauge 1800 - same deal as 1600
Hauppauge 2255 - This is a NEW tuner, but due to HW issues in it's build,
it loses about 6db of signal in the built-in splitter, making it sub-par.
No Linux drivers yet. (The Hauppauge 1265 is the single tuner version and
is a very good tuner.)

That being said, the HDHR is the only network-based tuner I am aware of.
If your signal strengths are strong, you should have no issues. But if you
are in a deep fringe like I am, you might not have the best luck here.
Just make sure that if you purchase an HDHR, that you can return it if it
does not perform well in your location.