[u-u] Video dealing with Pi zero

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Mar 13 10:44:57 EDT 2017

| From: Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at gmail.com>

| For Ken's purposes, doing things like copying USB keys, I would look at the
| likes of the Raspberry Pi Zero (but you would need an external USB hub) or
| Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.

I don't know what Ken's purposes are, but I'll speak up anyway.

If you need more than one USB socket, surely it is easiest to get a Pi
3 B and be done with it.

As I understand, one of the outstanding things about the Pi Zero is
that the USB interface can be programmed to be "USB Gadget" as opposed
to "USB Host".  I don't think that you can do that with the Pi 3 B.  I
don't think that you can hook up a USB hub and do that.

The Pi zero W allows you to use the USB interface in Gadget mode and
still use a keyboard and mouse (through BlueTooth).

One of the bad things about the Raspberry Pi is that the main chip has
only one USB port and it is USB 2.  USB 3 would be so much faster.
Note that the ethernet traffic goes though this port too.  Very few
competitors have USB 3 but some have a separate port for ethernet.

I could have this wrong and would appreciate any corrections.