[u-u] Keyboards...

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 17:42:20 EDT 2017

On 12 October 2017 at 12:59, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a follow-up on the question I raised at last evening's meeting,
> both to get feedback from a wider audience and to provide links for those
> who might of been interested in the topic...
>
> ErgoDox and Dactyl keyboards, does anyone here have any experience with
> either? I am currently using a Microsoft Natural keyboard on my "main" home
> computer, ugly but very comfortable to type on, so conditionally
> recommended. The ErdoDox and Dactyl keyboards both look even uglier than
> the Microsoft, but are they even more comfortable?
>
> There are open source plans for both the ErgoDox and Dactyl keyboards
> where all the plastic parts are (in some cases just) inside the limits of
> what my 3D printer can print. Further the idea of a near infinitely
> customizable keyboard, the colour of the parts can be decided by the
> filament used for the 3D printer so say green keys in a blue case is an
> (ugly) option, the keyboard controller is a little Arduino compatible
> controller with open source ( http://qmk.fm/ ), so qwerty or Dovark or
> ... layout can be chosen, and the keys are Cherry MX switches or compatible
> so pressure need to press a key or if the key makes a click noise is
> selectable. The keyboard is thus a "forever" keyboard, as any part that
> fails can be replaced without tossing the whole keyboard, which has a
> strong appeal. But obviously there is no point moving forward with
> something like this if it is uncomfortable to type on. Anyone know? Thanks.
>
> Here are links to a Dactyl and an ErgoDox keyboard 3D printer files:
>
> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2535256
>
> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2523675
>
> All the best.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I own something like 15 keyboards.  However,
I'm still willing to say it to point out that I've tried a few ...

My favourite keyboard (I've bought three of these so far, at $400+ each! I
mean, you have to have one for work as well as home, and I need a backup
...) is the Kinesis Advantage(/Advantage 2).  On two of them I've replaced
the Cherry Brown keyswitches with Cherry Blues.  Because of the dish shape
of the keys it takes about a month to get used to, but once you do it's
possibly the most comfortable keyboard ever made.  (If you're a gamer
though, the lack of inverted-T cursor keys is appalling ... just saying.)
If I had to go with a "standard" keyboard, I favour the IBM Model M or the
seven year old short Cooler Master mechanical with Cherry Blues.  (The
"Natural" is better than the straight keyboards, but the '6' is on the
wrong hand and it doesn't have mechanical switches ...)

The Ergodox is essentially the Advantage split in half and flattened.  I
would recommend against it for a couple reasons: a good friend of mine who
is an electronics tech said their circuit boards were perhaps the worst
board work he'd ever seen in his life.  Another friend built an Ergodox and
loaned it to me for a week: it felt very, very awkward, stretching when you
shouldn't be and no way to get your hands comfortable.

I wasn't aware of the Dactyl - thanks for pointing it out.  Although I'm a
bit leery as it's an Ergodox variant.  It seems even more closely related
to the Advantage (but no F-keys).  I would highly recommend you see if you
can find one to try before you start coughing up the couple hundred dollars
(or more - I haven't looked into pricing) required to buy the parts.  And
don't forget you almost certainly have to assemble it yourself (and it
makes Ergodox assembly look easy).

If you're interested in the Kinesis Advantage, I've bought from Ergo Canada
(http://ergocanada.com/ec_home/products/alternative_layout_1.html ) several
times: their prices are pretty good and their service is excellent.  (I
have no financial interest in them, but I think very highly of them and
given that they sell my favourite keyboard on the Canadian side of the
border, I'm happy to advertise for them in the hope they survive ...)

I'm always willing to rant about keyboards, it's a bit of a danger when I'm
around.  I think they're a severely under-regarded peripheral.  You use it
8+ hours a day, and yet many people seem to think that a $5 commodity
keyboard is a good idea?

</end rant>

--
Giles