[u-u] Throwing gasoline on the fire..

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Jul 23 14:23:09 EDT 2018

At Mon, 23 Jul 2018 13:13:41 -0400, David Gilbert <uu at dclg.ca> wrote:
Subject: Re: [u-u] Throwing gasoline on the fire..

> Now... to the disease, It goes against the very fabric of what we call
> unix.  It would be _very_ at home in Multix or VMS.  The core principle
> here is often expressed as "do one job and do it well" ... not, as in
> this case "do all the jobs: all the jobs are belong to us".

Well perhaps systemd would be accepted in this mythical "Multix" you
mention, but not in Multics.  :-)  (and I'm not so sure about VMS
either, though I never really admined VMS, nor even used it much)

Multics is far more unix-like in philosophy than many people who have
heard of it only in myths seem to think it is, especially at user level.
(Its innards are of course where some ideas for unix came from too, but
unfortunately unix has never taken the best and most powerful ideas from
Multics internals.  Nowadays all unix-like systems, except maybe Minix,
are far more bloated and cumbersome than even the Multics myths made it
out to be).

I would say many Multics diehards see unix people (then and now) in much
the same way many unix (and particularly BSD) people seem to see Linux
folks.

The beginning of the many problems I see with systemd is that it solves,
or tries to solve, problems that don't really exist in ways that are
uncomfortable at best (some of which have described in this thread).  Of
course that's only the beginning -- the problems with it go on and on
and on.

--
					Greg A. Woods <gwoods at acm.org>

+1 250 762-7675                           RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>