[u-u] Odds and Ends

Greg A. Woods woods at robohack.ca
Sat Jul 21 15:17:12 EDT 2018

At Sat, 21 Jul 2018 14:37:47 -0400, David Gilbert <uu at dclg.ca> wrote:
Subject: Re: [u-u] Odds and Ends

> On 2018-07-21 02:10, Vance Shipley wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 8:59 PM, David Gilbert <uu at dclg.ca
> > <mailto:uu at dclg.ca>> wrote:
> >
> >     Finding an untrackable workstation is more problematic.  The best
> >     hope I have at the momment lies in the MIPS project
> >

> > I assume this is meant as a reference to the RISC-V project:
> > https://riscv.org/
> >
> > This is really interesting stuff. Today it is possible, using open
> > source tools, to tape out an open source instruction set architecture
> > (ISA) processor, and people are doing it.
>
> Thanks for the correction.  Isn't MIPS open-source, too?  Anyways, the
> excitment is that not just the processor, but also the chipset.  Recall
> that a version of minix is hiding in your desktop's chipset if you're
> dealing with a newer than about 2008 intel PC.

MIPS is definitely still entirely proprietary IP.

Interestingly MIPS Tech, Inc. (mips.com), the company owning and
licensing MIPS IP, was recently acquired (in whole, I think) by Wave
Computing, Inc. (wavecomp.ai), and AI company.

I think MIPS cores have traditionally been available for slightly lower
licence fees than ARM cores, though they do indeed compete head-on in
the same markets.

BTW, on the topic of mail servers and mail sorting, I second DG's
recommendation of Postifx + Cyrus IMAP and use of Sieve (though I would
avoid any "web"-based UI to any of it by at least an AU).

Which reminds me -- I've got to update my Sieve script to handle some
new lists that have been polluting my main inbox.

--
					Greg A. Woods <gwoods at acm.org>

+1 250 762-7675                           RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>     Avoncote Farms <woods at avoncote.ca>