[u-u] Connectivity

Hugh Gamble hugh at phaedrav.com
Tue Apr 7 18:49:28 EDT 2020

 From my penthouse (really just top floor)
I have been very happy with Bell Business symmetric Gigabit fibre.
Paying for business lets me have symmetric bandwidth,
no filtering, no throttling, static IPs,
no contract violation running servers,
and all for ~$99.
(I pay $5 extra to *not* have a phone, but that's Bell for you)

Bell and Rogers both had trouble servicing the top floor.

I also have a Teksavvy (don't recommend it anymore) over Rogers cable.
It's asymmetric and the outbound is slower than dialup.
Rogers cable in this building runs through every apartment down the
hall.

Similar problem with ADSL over the Bell twisted pair,
outbound is (literally) slower than dialup.
And no way to fix it between the top floor and the ground.

The only way out of here (apart from the microwave backhaul on the
roof)
was straight down the outside of the building.
That was a giant fight for years.
Half the building thought it would look ugly.
Half the building was concerned about 'breaking the envelope'
and water leaking in from the holes coming in through the balconies.

The easy option, with no installer coming to your house, is wireless.
Toronto 5G is as fast as any fibre you'll pull,
just use a cat (or 6) to keep the pigeons away.