[u-u] Extra monitor

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 17:15:15 EST 2020

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 4:51 PM Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> Nice idea, and a great way to give life to otherwise-underused tablets. Available
> for $12 <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001043540669.html> on Ali and
> other Chinese sites if you don't mind waiting a month.

Yes, classic trade off, low cost but slow direct from China, or many more
$$$ but fast from a local supplier :-( .

> Is this limited to phones and tablets that use USB-C? The adapter/cable
> looks like any of the OTG ones one would use to connect a USB external
> storage or keyboard. I have a bunch of Android devices that have Micro-B
> connectors (including a not-so-old Fire tablet) that are slow but can do
> OTG just fine; have you tried this rig on any like that?

Not limited to tablets that use USB-C. The 7" 2018 Amazon Fire tablet that
I successfully got running has USB Micro-B (ie: I use a power supply that I
used to power a Raspberry Pi 3) to recharge that tablet. You will need to
get (at least with the device I got) a cable to go from USB Micro-B to
USB-C (I had two USB cables I could/did connect together to achieve this
and earlier today I bought a dollar store USB Micro-B to USB-C cable (the
later not yet tested)).   Only semi-odd bit was one needs to jump through a
few hoops to get Google Play Store installed. Once Google Play Store is
installed, installing "USB Camera Standard" is very straight forward.

All the best.

Colin.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada