[u-u] Keyboards...

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Oct 12 21:02:49 EDT 2017

| From: Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com>

| I'm embarrassed to admit that I own something like 15 keyboards.  However,
| I'm still willing to say it to point out that I've tried a few ...

I'm trying a few (fewer) too.  Thanks for your useful observations.

I heard so many folks loving mechanical keyboards, I decided to try
them.

I bought a Rosewill RK-6000 with OEM Alps keys (I think).  These were
like Cherry MX Blue keys.  Long story short, after the one year
warranty was up, the e key became erratic.  I'm pretty sure that I
didn't use it 20,000,000 times (key lifetime according to specs).

Out of warranty: Rosewell wasn't interested in fixing it.  And they
would not sell me a replacement key.

So I bought a manufacturer-refurbed k70 with Cherry MX Brown keys.  It
was a marvel of red LEDs with shifting patterns.  That's all the rage
these days (but RGB is cooler).  I turned them off.  But the
deal-killer was that the spacebar would often send more than one space
per keystroke.  Luckily I sent it back soon enough the deal is
effectively expunged.

I thought I would like Brown better than Blue.  I thought that sound
was an affectation but tactile feedback is important.  But I actually
do prefer Blue.  Maybe that's just what I'm used to.

I like mechanical keyboards better than membrane keyboards.  It's not
a requirement for me, just a little bit nicer.

I'm a cheap guy.  I've not had to pay more than $100 for a keyboard
but the prices seem to have risen in the last couple of years.  Maybe
a more expensive keyboard would not be a lemon.